The Changing lives: Report of the 21st century social work review (2006) stressed the need for clear leadership and effective management at all levels within the workforce. While it is important that individuals take responsibility for the development of their own leadership skills, employers need to provide support for them to do so. The Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) has recently launched a new web resource - Step into Leadership - to promote and encourage effective leadership within the workforce.
Step into Leadership will help the workforce find the leadership information and resources relevant to their role in social services. The resource is split into four leadership 'pathways': frontline workers; people using services; managers; and corporate and strategic leaders. A pathway describes the route by which an individual chooses to navigate the leadership development resources.
Each pathway includes:
- A 'plan your pathway' section to help users think about the leadership skills they already have and the areas they would like to develop
- A learning log for recording learning that makes links to other learning that may be carried out now or in the future
- Leadership capabilities outlining the essential components for leadership and how these link to the Continuous Learning Framework (CLF)
- Organisational capabilities supporting the creation of a culture where leadership at all levels is encouraged and developed
- Links to National Occupational Standards, which is particularly useful when working towards a qualification or award
- Leadership materials and resources, including video clips, e-learning modules and journal articles
- Examples from practice illustrating how others are using their leadership skills
- Information on leadership and management qualifications relevant for registration with the SSSC and individuals' professional development
- Information on mentoring and action learning
- Online leadership community
Resources have been sourced from existing websites including Social Services Knowledge Scotland (SSKS), Iriss and the Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE).
Visit the Step into Leadership website