Evidence summaries to support social services in Scotland.
- There is a range of models of advocacy, each with distinctive characteristics relating to type of work undertaken, length of involvement and appropriate person who should undertake the role
- There is a limited evidence base about the effectiveness of advocacy.
- There is disagreement and discussion about the definition of spirituality
- Ageing is a journey which includes a spiritual dimension
- The spiritual dimension focuses on meaning of life, hope and purpose, explored through relationships with others, with the natural world and with the transcendent
- The evidence base suggests that genuine and intentional accompaniment of people on their ageing journey; giving time, presence and listening are the core of good spiritual practice
- Reminiscence, life story, creative activities and meaningful ritua
"It [the Social Care (Self-directed Support) (Scotland) Bill] means a shift from form filling and ticking boxes to engaging with people ... For social work practice, it is crucial that assessments and responses are timely, flexible and based on individual circumstances."
This Insight considers what can be learnt from existing research, related initiatives and experience elsewhere.
A creative storyboard (video animation) based on this Insight has been created - Culture change - what is it all about?
This Insight provides an overview of the research evidence on effective strengths based approaches for working with individuals and presents selected illustrative examples, written by Lisa Pattoni.
This Insight, focuses on the issue of involving those who have offended in shaping the criminal justice system, exploring the different models of involvement, the effectiveness of different approaches and the implications for Criminal Justice Social Work services. Written by Beth Weaver (Glasgow School of Social Work, University of Strathclyde) and Claire Lightowler (IRISS).
This Insight, written by Dr Emma Miller, Honorary Senior Research Associate at Glasgow School of Social Work, will consider some of the challenges of measuring outcomes and emerging responses to these.
IRISS has created a storyboard (an animated, engaging video) of Insight 12, which is a useful summary : Insight 12 storyboard.